About Me

Hi I'm JAMES 60 and married with three daughters all left home now, daughters that is not the wife.I enjoy Gardening /Football and working on my Farm.The picture above in the header slot is where i live and work.

Sunday 27 September 2009

The changing seasons

Today was the last show of the season held in the Club Inn at Endmoor which is where our local N V S meetings are held, it's a bit different in that all entries are auctioned off for Charity at the close of the show and I suppose it is a slightly low key show but still everyone likes to win, and I am no exception so i was especially pleased when my Winston potatoes came first meaning that I have got first with potatoes in every show that I have entered them this year, in fact this is the first year I have ever got a ticket with potatoes. My granddaughter Jenny is keen on going to shows and had some entries in the children's competition and was pretty chuffed to get a first prize with her Veg Animals even though the other entries were her sisters.
So now all the excitement of the show season is over I had to get down to some serious work on the plot starting with a rough dig and weeding where I grew my onions and leeks this year, it has been empty since early August except for half a dozen leeks that I kept back for showing and it had started to look a bit neglected, it should break down nicely over the Winter and I will give it a good covering of compost soon and then cover it with plastic sheeting after Christmas as an experiment to see if it allows me a quicker start next Spring, the plant left in the corner is a hydrangea cutting that I took last backend and just popped it in the corner for the Summer, when it dies back in a month or two I will move it to a permanent place in the front border, I also got on with cleaning out the growing mixture from the carrot and parsnip with my home made coring device, so as to lessen the chance of carrying over any nasties that may have made them selves at home in there, later when I turn the sand over I will splash some disinfectant about, as a final clean up.

No comments: