About Me

Hi I'm JAMES 60 and married with three daughters all left home now, daughters that is not the wife.I enjoy Gardening /Football and working on my Farm.The picture above in the header slot is where i live and work.

Saturday 4 July 2009

A Hot And Humid Week

The heat and humidity of the last week has really made a difference to everything, it made me wilt but everything in the garden seems to have lapped it up, our Gunnera has put on a spurt of extra growth and is pushing on for about 7'6" in height and even wider, most books say plant by water to help them grow but ours is just on the edge of the back lawn and seems to manage no problem, it makes a good screen for the blue barrels that I use to grow my parsnips and long carrots in, they have really started to put on a lot of strong healthy top growth lately so lets hope that things are growing just as well below ground. The beetroot needed earthing up as they had started to push up on to the surface and as I don't want them to get rough skins I just dragged some soil over, the beetroot have been a nightmare to grow this year as I have had them attacked by everything from jackdaws, slugs, rabbits and deer so every row has plants of different stages of growth where I have had to resow to fill in gaps plus the brussel sprouts are now getting a lot bigger and are just starting to compete with them for space, it's the same old story of thinking that there is room to spare when you sow things and just try to squeeze in that extra row. My marrow plant is now starting to grow some marrows I should have really taken a picture to show the difference of one week, if I get the chance I will post a shot of it tomorrow, I thought that they (marrows) were semi climbers and it was my plan to grow them up and over stakes but it seems to be producing from the centre at near ground level, all will come clear eventually I hope.

No comments: