About Me

Hi I'm JAMES 60 and married with three daughters all left home now, daughters that is not the wife.I enjoy Gardening /Football and working on my Farm.The picture above in the header slot is where i live and work.

Saturday 23 May 2009

Tomatoes

I had the chance to pot on my tomatoes in to their final pot's today, I don't have any growing beds in my greenhouse so they will have to grow in some 15" animal feed buckets that had contained molassed feed blocks for feeding my sheep through lambing time I'm not exactly sure how much they hold but it must be around 22/25 liters . Last year I grew a reasonable crop in just 9" pots so I hope that the extra room should give a lot better results and with just a bit of luck I might get a decent show sample.








First job was to make a good few drain holes both in the base and nicks in the side as well as I intend to sit them in 42cm trays so as to water them well from the base plus from the top. .












They had a good set of roots and potted on pretty easy, the growth over the last few weeks has to be seen to believed, it was only on May 4th that I moved them from 3" to 6" pots.
.
.
.
.
.
..






I did put a short cane in just next to the rootball when i potted up them so as to be able to slip a even longer cane in without damaging any roots when i lift them down to ground level , but just for the moment i have left them on the bench where they can get the maximum light. I did set them in as deep as i could so as to stimulate more root growth. Now it just a matter of regular feeding and keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: