About Me

Hi I'm JAMES 60 and married with three daughters all left home now, daughters that is not the wife.I enjoy Gardening /Football and working on my Farm.The picture above in the header slot is where i live and work.

Sunday 1 March 2009

St David's Day 1st March 2009

It seems hard to believe that it is March already the weeks since Christmas seem to have flown by and all of a sudden it time to get cracking with lots of jobs that seemed not to urgent only a week ago. With all the rain this weekend I got stuck into preparing the mixes for the Potatoes , Carrots and Parsnips, the Potatoes mix is simply moss peat that i put through Fred my shredder so as to get all the lumps out when I finished I had filled six storage boxes full which should be enough,its now stored in the greenhouse so as to help it warm up a bit before use,I will put it through my mixer just prior to planting out and add some slow release Phosphate and Potash and a few slug pellets just to be on the safe side then just give the plants a touch of Nitrogen when the leaves pop through, I might also incorporate some calc-sea-feed in the mix as well, as peat usually has a PH of about 4.5 -5 so it may be worthwhile but as potatoes don't like to be growing in an alkaline soil it will only need a small amount. Doing the Carrots and Parsnips was a bit more time consuming as it all had to be well riddled to get out all the rough bits,
I used a No 2 potting mix as a base to which i will add Some Maxicrop Cal-Sea -Feed at a rate of a hand full (3oz approx) per builders bucket full plus a bit of slow release Potash and Phosphate with a bit of luck i should get all my growing station filled by next weekend and be ready for sowing some Parsnips after the middle of the month.
The Rhubarb patch is starting to really get going now it got a good covering of FYM last back end and it seems to paying dividends should be able to pull a few stalks for a rhubarb crumble in about 3 weeks at the rate it's growing. Maybe we are in for a early Spring this year i certainly hope so as it been a year or two since we had one and we don't have a great deal of spare silage on the farm so it would be handy to have a good flush of grass by the end of April.

No comments: