About Me

Hi I'm JAMES 60 and married with three daughters all left home now, daughters that is not the wife.I enjoy Gardening /Football and working on my Farm.The picture above in the header slot is where i live and work.

Sunday 14 September 2008

Runner Bean Seeds



This year i thought i would try saving some of my own Runner Bean seeds for planting next year, this is the pod that i have selected, when i drew my first pick to show in mid August this one stood out it was from high up on the plant and younger than the ones i took to show that I won first prize with it was then best part of an inch longer and was as smooth and straight then as any i have ever grown ,allthough it has curved a bit now that the seed beans have started to grow and develop, so as long as the mother plant stays healthy and free from virus etc i will give it a try. I have still got 4 seeds over from the ones i bought this spring so i will be able to compare next season as to weather it was a wise decision.

4 comments:

Veg4Show said...

As you said, as long as it stays virus free it will be fine. I do it ever year and reselect my best stenner beans as they cost 2.40 for 5 beans. You will eventually end up with a very good strain hopefully.

James (Digtoplant) said...

Lets hope so. You right about the cost of seeds, but then nowt's cheap from Wales!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have just discovered your blog! I wondered if you could help me with a little problem with my carrots. Thet get black spots on them after a few days. Do you think I should buy them from Waitrose rather than Morrisons.
Thanks Dad

James (Digtoplant) said...

Grow your own. Kids don't you just love em.